If you are changing your smartphone from Android to iOS or just upgrading your device, you can access all your WhatsApp data that is backed up on your Google Drive or Apple Cloud. Here is a step-by-step guide to transferring WhatsApp data from old to new phones.
Switching from Android to iOS or vice versa? While transferring data from old to new phone is easy and doesn’t take much time. Transferring all your WhatsApp including media, chat backups, and history follows a long exercise.
If you switch from Android to Android or iPhone, you can easily move your WhatsApp account information, profile photo, individual and group chats, message history, media and settings. But things get a little confusing if you switch from Android to iOS or vice versa. Especially when you want to transfer all your WhatsApp data including chat history. Here’s a step-by-step guide to transferring WhatsApp data from your old phone to your new phone, whether you’re switching from Android to iOS or Android to Android.
How to transfer old WhatsApp chats from iOS to Android
- Connect your Android device to your iPhone using a Type-C to Lightning cable.
- Open WhatsApp on your Android device. A QR code will appear on the screen.
- On iPhone, click Settings > Chats > Move Chats to Android and scan the QR code.
- Note: Keep your phone unlocked during the transfer process. After the app finishes backing up, click Start Transfer.
- Your chats, pictures and other data will be transferred to your new Android device. Make sure you are not using both devices during the transfer process.
Also read – Acer Chromebook Spin 714 Review
How to transfer old WhatsApp chats from Android to Android
- Before starting the process, backup all WhatsApp data on your old phone to Google Drive.
- To do this, open WhatsApp > More options > Settings > Chats > Chat backup.
- Select the Google account you want to back up your chats to.
- Also, make sure your new Android device is linked to the Google account where your backup is stored
- Install and open WhatsApp on your new phone and sign in.
- When prompted to restore chats and media from Google Drive, tap RESTORE.
- Once the restore process is complete, tap NEXT. Your chats will appear after the initialization is complete.
- WhatsApp will continue to restore your media files after your chats are restored.
How to transfer old WhatsApp chats from Android to iOS
- Install “Move to iOS” app on your Android phone from Play Store.
- Once downloaded, launch the “Move to iOS” app and follow the on-screen instructions.
- When prompted, enter the code shown on your iPhone on your Android phone.
- Next, select “WhatsApp” on the Data Transfer screen and tap Start. WhatsApp will prepare the data for export. Log out after the process is complete.
- Return to “Move to iOS” and tap “Continue” to transfer data to iPhone.
- Once the data transfer is complete, install the latest WhatsApp updates on your iPhone.
- Sign in with the same mobile phone number and tap Start.
- Once the process is complete, WhatsApp chats will be visible on your new iPhone.